Sunday 2 May 2010

'Breeze is the conductor, trees the musicians, leaves the instruments'


Following on from the advise of one of my tutors I have decided to consider other sources which may feed into my work as inspiration. Since Christmas I have been listening to Classic Fm, especially while I stitch as I find the momentum of the music is complementary to the long hours of sewing. I therefore find it really interesting to learn of an established link historically between British composers and the landscape.

The idea stems from the belief that classical music is somehow evocative of the landscape. Composers such as Bax, Elgar and Holst, amongst many others are thought to have held a natural affinity with the landscape through their music. An example that comes to mind when I think of this is a piece entitled Dawn by composer Jean Yves Thibaudet. When I listen to this piece I cannot help but be vividly reminded of a morning landscape.

Through drawing and stitch I aim to generate a sense of movement within my work similarly to the way music does when you listen to it. My work is attempting to capture fleeting moments in time that are suggestive interpretations of the landscape rather than representative depictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment